RE: Need Compress utility on Linux

From: Smith, Ron L. <rlsmith_at_kmg.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:05:28 -0600

Thanks for the info!

-----Original Message-----
From: Mladen Gogala [mailto:mgogala_at_allegientsystems.com]=20 Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 10:57 AM To: Smith, Ron L.
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Need Compress utility on Linux

Smith, Ron L. wrote:

>We have been using the standard Oracle export piped into the Compress=20
>utility on Unix for years. Now we are moving to Linux and the Compress

>will not handle files over 2G. Is there another version of Compress=20
>available for Linux or is someone using another export / import method?
>
>Thanks!
>Ron
> =20

Ron, there is a whole slew of compression utilities on Linux. The first=20 one that you can take a look and
then turn your head away in disgust, is the good, old zip. It works on=20 Windoze, it works on Linux,
it works on Unix, it works on Mac. It works everywhere, but the=20 compression is not all that great.
The next utility to look at is gzip. It is also extremely portable, fast

and usually provides a good compression
ratio. It is also incorporated in a little command called "tar" which=20 you may feel like using from time to time, once you switch to Linux. The utility that has the best compression=20 ratio is bzip2. It does beautiful job with compression, but it consumes=20 a lot of CPU power to do that. There is even a parallel version of =20 bzip2 which
can peg your machine for 30 or so, for a large 6GB file, but will do a=20 beautiful job on compressing your data.
In addition to that, there are the ultimate compression utilities called

rm and fdisk which compress your data to nothing and do that quickly.=20 Very quickly. Your data is irreversibly moved to the higher plane of=20 existence.
Those two utilities are extremely popular among pranksters.

--=20
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Ext. 121

Important Notice!!
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail message, any use, = distribution or copying of the message is prohibited. Please let me know immediately by return e-mail if you have received = this message by mistake, then delete the e-mail message. Thank you.