Re: how to monitor the progress of inserts

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:50:18 +0000

On 02/01/2005 04:53:11 PM, Wolfgang Breitling wrote:
> As Niall demonstrated so beautifully, there are no relational rules when=20
> it comes to v$ views (actually the x$ "tables" upon which the views are=20
> built).

Yes, but then this statistics is meaningless. What does it mean to have 100= 0 inserts without any consequence to the table?

> As to V$SESSION_LONGOPS being inaccurate, cryptic and useless, I can't=20
> follow you there. I don't find them any more cryptic than any other=20
> table or view and within the confines of being an estimate, I find them=20
> remarkably accurate and extremely useful in gaging eta of a process - or=20
> detecting escalating deterioration which is a very useful observation in=20
> its own right.

I wouldn't generalize just like that. I don't find V$SESSION_LONGOPS very u= seful,
period. It has never helped me with anything. It most certainly did not hel= p me
to see how much is left of any large job. While V$ tables in general are re= markably
useful, this particular one is useless.

>=20

> Gogala, Mladen wrote:
>=20

> > To do otherwise would seriously break the relational
> > rules. Sadly, V$SESSION_LONGOPS is inaccurate, cryptic and, generally
> > speaking, useless.=20
> --=20
> Regards
>=20