logon trigger with machine condition

From: <jsb_at_digistar.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:35:08 -0500 (EST)

I'm looking for a way to trace a session on logon with the condition that it be from a particular host. Wolfgang brought up a good point about logon to a particular schema but in this case I need a database-wide trigger.

I'm looking to do something like this below, but it does not work:

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER trace_a_session

   AFTER LOGON ON DATABASE
BEGIN
   IF USER LIKE 'USER'
   THEN

      IF HOST LIKE 'SOMEHOST.DOMAIN.COM'
      THEN
         EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'alter session set events ''10046 trace name
context forever, level 12''';
      END IF;

   END IF;
END;
/

There apparently is no PL/SQL HOST function which is what I need, or a way to do it via a nested select and variables. I intend to purchase a book or two after work tonight but I need some help now if anyone has dealt with this situation before.

regards,
Jason