Re: Accidentally Delete *.dbf Files, OH NO!!!

From: Lyndon Tiu <ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:10:14 -0800

On January 31, 2005 07:05 pm, Hollis, Les wrote:
> You know all of these helpful suggestions of replacing the rm command
> are great IF you happen to have root privileges. Most shops that have
> SA's and DBA's typically the DBA does not have root privs., so replacing
> rm would be an impossible task.....
>

> rydsup16:/bin> ls -l rm
> -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 18384 Jan 5 2000 rm
>

> The best set of suggestions was that of DOCUMENTING to COO, CIO, and GOD
> what has happened on not just this once but several occasions and be
> sure and keep a copy yourself. How much down time you had and asking
> them what the cost was to their business for the stupidity of an
> uneducated SA. (BTW I have been an SA in past lives so I do have
> somewhat of a concept of the job...that was until I encountered the
> 'force' and switched to a DBA)
>
> Do include the SA's and their managers.
>
> As also suggested let them know that your oracle filesystems do not need
> monitored for % usage and that as was mentioned you may damn well run
> them to 100%....I have MANY filesystems at 100%. At least the SA's I
> have are smart enough to understand the growth requirements and sanctity
> of my Oracle file systems. In fact, our monitoring software will page
> me when one of our filesystems (like $ORACLE_HOME or my Archive
> destination) hits 100%. It also ignores the rest of my FS's where
> datafiles reside because we have told it to ignore them)

You only have to get to this point if you cannot work with the people who have root permissions and who delete your database files.

Communication and edication is best. Working as a team is important.

Question?

Do you talk to the people who delete your dbf files? If so, why not take the chance to talk to them about your grief, if not, why not? They are only people.

--
Lyndon Tiu