RE: Accidentally Delete *.dbf Files, OH NO!!!

From: Parker, Matthew <matthewp_at_amazon.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:38:36 -0800

  1. Normally I tell the SA they are not responsible for database = filesystems and oh by the way I will run them to 100%, which means you = do not need to monitor them or worry about them.
  2. As long as you allow root access to the uninitiated you will have = problems. Maybe if they have to restore the datafiles or the database = instead of you, then they will feel the pain and not make such a = mistake. Having someone removing files as root, especially without = checking to see if the file is open, they should be fired.
  3. You can try all the tricks in the world (aliases, moving the commands = to an alternate location, actually recompiling the command so that it = doesn't let things happen), but without competent and professional = people, you had better get used to restoring files, since it appears for = you that the same people that would do all those alternate things, would = know about them and work around them, thinking they are doing the right = thing.

Have fun restoring systems.