Re: Microsoft Windows, will rule in the next 8 years in the market

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 21:03:39 +0000

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:49:29 +0000, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:04:44 -0500, Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com> wrote:
>
> Desktops are a different story.

Amen to that. Linux has a long road ahead before becoming a viable desktop.

As a desktop, windows works out of the box, Linux doesn't.

The technically savvy user can make it work, but the average user can't, and should not have to.

My std argument: try opening WMV, MPEG and quicktime in your email on linux (I'm using evolution). It's easy to setup, once you find out how. The problem is twofold: it is not easy to discover how to set it up, and you should not have to.

--
Jared Still