Re: Many small ones or one big one.

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:16:12 +0000

I had to fix a problem last week where, in a 64bit Solaris 9 box, someone had created a tablespace with with four 30Gb datafiles. Unfortunately the backup device attached to that server had a maximum capacity of about 20Gb per tape and the backup software couldn't split large files over multiple tapes (and you really wouldn't want to). Also the projected datavolumes for the first year on this system are around 3GB. I'm all for allowing room for future growth, but there's room for future growth and then there's being a bit daft.

That tablespace now has three 2Gb datafiles.

Stephen

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jan 28 2005 - 19:18:43 CST