RE: Red Hat 2.1, Oracle 9.2.0.5 and 25GB file block corruption on HP

From: Parker, Matthew <matthewp_at_amazon.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 02:45:14 -0800

So I assume that you didn't get corruption on the creation of the data = files but during the use of the data files since there are segments in = them you are trying to determine if they are corrupt.=20 The ORA-600 [25012] in most cases is index corruption, but sometimes it = affects a table object also. The problem relates to AS 2.1's pthread = library and Oracle. We had a few of these over many months requiring us = to repair blocks to get past it to ensure no data loss. The only = solution is to upgrade to AS 3.0 which has a different pthread library = and does not have the problem.

As to your current corruption, as Tim stated there are some other = methods to determine if something is corrupt. The problem with these = 25012 corruptions is the arguments in the alert.log to the 25012 is the = table space number and the relative file number but not the block that = is corrupt. To find that you must go back to your alert.log and find all = the trace files associated with this corruption/crash.

Tue Oct 5 18:42:44 2004
Errors in file /dumps-01/databases/xxx/udump/xxx-3_ora_15990.trc: ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [25012], [33], [277], [], [], =
[], [], []

Sometimes you will also see associated ORA-600 with base arguments of =
[4000], [17102], [15784], [kcbzpb_1], etc...
Once you isolate the trace files then you can search in the trace file = for "last wait for"

    last wait for 'buffer busy waits' blocking sess=3D0x0 seq=3D1773 = wait_time=3D73

                file#=3Db, block#=3D6599, id=3Ddc
    temporary object counter: 0

The file and block number are in hex so: file=3D11 block=3D26009. You = then can run dbv on this block:

dbv file=3D<file_name blcoksize=3D<db block size> start=3D26009 = end=3D26009

You can also use these start and end arguments in dbv to examine a = complete extent in the database by simply determining the begin and end = block of an extent from dba_extents.

Select extent_id, block_id begin_block, block_id+blocks-1 end_block from = db_extents where segment_name =3D <your segment name> and file_id =3D < = rfno from the 25012 arguments >
Then pick the extent you wish to look at and:

If corruption actually made it to disk and is in a table, then it is = repairable, but not usually by normal means. There is a 10% chance that = simply doing a single block recovery with RMAN can fix it, in the other = 90% of the case it requires a block edit to fix. If it is an index, then = simply drop and rebuild.