Design question re: DW data load

From: Leslie Tierstein <leslie.tierstein_at_visionchain.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 06:27:44 -0800

Platform: Oracle 9.2 on various Unixes
Fact table to be loaded: range-partitioned by date, list-sub-partitioned by country
Source files: Contain 1 or more weeks of data, but only one country per file; volume may vary from a few 100,000 rows to 10-20 million Data delivery: (simplest case) Any time on Sunday, between 2 AM and 11 PM (We have no control over the exact time of delivery within this window, or the order in which multiple files are delivered) Batch window: Load must be finished and batch reports must be generated by 7 AM Monday
Installations: Simplest is just one country (US); Largest is 12 countries

Current code:
Load source file (direct path sql*loader) into staging table Data cleansing
Insert data into fact table: Disable FK constraints; INSERT /*+APPEND */; Enable FK constraints

Current installations: Only run one load job or run load jobs serially, never more than one simultaneously

Design question: How can I rewrite/redesign the Insert step above so more that loads can run in parallel.

We've figured out the staging table part.

However, the disable constraints; INSERT direct pothered-enable constraints doesn't work.=20

Any thoughts on a redesign/enhancement that would allow parallel processing while still supporting the direct-path INSERT?=20

TIA,
Leslie
Leslie Tierstein
Senior Consultant
Vision Chain, Inc.
The first software to power the demand data network phone: 202-261-3549