RE: RMAN Backup Question

From: Marquez, Chris <CMarquez_at_aarp.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:32:41 -0500

Helmut,

>>did a restore of our production database to a different box.
>>But RMAN was using an older backup to do that.

What type of contolfile backup are you using? What is the date of the contolfile you restored to the "different box". What method did you use to restore the backup contolfile to the "different box".

I assume you are NOT using a RMAN catalog? So what I'm suggesting is that the current contolfile you restored to the "different box"
is younger that the "Thursday (Jan 20)" backup and there for is not "aware" of it.

(With RMAN) The contolfile should be the last AND final object you backup to insure=20
that it contains the meta database about ALL previous backups.

And old contolfile can NEVER "know" about a NEW RMAN backup.

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA
HEYMONitor(tm) - heymonitor.com