XMLType speed

From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:25:09 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

Anybody tried Oracle 10g Beta or has that installed on his system.

I am very interested to know did Oracle speed up XMLType insertion.

We stick with XMLType because developers like XPATH search capability, but it looks that Oracle did it very ugly.
Even choosing CLOB as a storage and all other optimizations are no help because of nasty XMLType constructor killing the performances.

Anybody did or needed to do insertion into XMLType column at very high rate (>300 per second for up to 40k).

It looks that even 100 characters long XML cannot go fast into XMLType at all.

My suspicious is the call to PL/SQL XMLType constructor is killing everything.
Oracle did not make PL/SQL and SQL more tight yet or XMLType constructor is just wrongly coded :)

Is it possible to have XMLType type/body compiled natively into C?

I eliminated all waits somehow, but the CPU usage for XMLType insertion is just too high.
Not sure what was Oracle thinking here with exposing XMLType at all, to use it for low level application needs probably.
Whatever they did with XMLType they did not do it properly.

If anybody can try it on 10g R2 Beta I will be very happy.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Zoran Martic
Oracle DBA