Re: intel clusters in a box

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_allegientsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:50:05 -0500

Jared Still wrote:

>You left out an important component: the Linux vendor.
>
>Suse should be given serious consideration. It is in many
>respects superior to RedHat.
>
>For starters, they use the 2.6 kernel rather than hacking^H^H^H^Hporting
>new features into the 2.4 kernel.
>
>Jared

I must say that I like their evil ways with the kernel. So far, I've had loads of trouble with 2.6 kernel. I upgraded my FC3 box to 2.6.10 and, immediately, my linux-wlan-ng stopped working (the new kernel changed the driver interface, and it fails to load) so I have to use orinoco which doesn't support WEP. Fun with nvidia drivers and 2.6 kernel is very well known, an the same goes for the ALSA drivers. Staying with 2.4 is a very smart move if we want a stable OS. The latest 2.6 kernel still has ways to go before maturing to acceptable level. I switched from 2.2 to 2.4 when 2.4.14 appeared on the market. I don't consider SuSE's eagerness to start proliferating the 2.6 version as a laudable move.

-
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Ext. 121