Re: Locally Managed Tablespaces

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 02:55:21 -0800

Yours must be a 3rd party app. Multiple application tablespaces for any significant database shouldn't be considered a "luxury" any more than the fourth wheel on an automobile is a "luxury". It *might* run (for a while) on three, but it won't work very well, won't go very far, and might require some abnormal maneuvers. As others have said, go with LMT - no doubt about it. If you have widely varying sizes of objects and are stuck with a single tablespace, go with autoallocate. You'll still be far better off than with a dictionary managed tablespace, UET$, FET$, ST locks, the occasional pctincrease=50, pseudo-random extent sizes, ad nauseum. Actually, you can vaccinate against the last two, but if you can actually segregate monster objects and tiny ones (at least) into different tablespaces, go with uniform extent sizes. (If not, my condolences.)

I've been a devout believer in and evangelist for uniform extent sizes in almost all tablespaces since long before LMTs - since about 1990 in fact, when it was pure heresy. When we went to 9i RAC over a year ago I conceded to ASSM - trading off uniform extents for no more tinkering with freelists, freelist groups, etc. I don't know if the algorithm for extent allocation in ASSM is a descendent (or clone or genetic mutation) of the algorithm for LMTs with autoallocate or not, but suspect it is. [I never had to deal with autoallocate LMTs (until ASSM?)]. ASSM was a bit aggravating at first (and still is compared to uniform extents), but some early experiments with initial extent sizes showed some patterns. Its likely a function of block size, but I've been too lazy to research it enough to come up with a formula.

With a 8k block size though, the thresholds I've found are:

Initial          Smallest extent size    (Typical) Extent size escalation
<     2M        64K                           (16) 64K, then (n?) 1M
       2M        1M                            (64) 1M, then (120) 8M, then ???

>1024M 8M Sometimes (113 or 128) 8M, then (n?) 64M... Mostly, unpredictable.
-- I couldn't get the smallest extent size above 8M, but quit the test at somewhere in the vicinity of initial<=8G.

I thought maybe I had found a Rosetta stone for ASSM, but it turned out to be petrified dung.

Here are some of the results from this query on DBA_EXTENTS - showing a few objects in ASSM tablespaces - with a count by extent size ( MB). I manually changed the result order here to make a few things stand out.

SQL> break on SEGMENT_NAME skip 1
SQL> select SEGMENT_NAME, count(*), BLOCKS/128   2 from DBA_EXTENTS
  3 where OWNER = 'ORASAURUS'
  4 group by SEGMENT_NAME, BLOCKS/128
  5 order by SEGMENT_NAME, BLOCKS/128;

SEGMENT_NAME COUNT(*) BLOCKS/128

------------------ ---------- ----------
CLASS_TREE                 16      .0625
                            3          1

DOMAIN                     64          1
                            1          8

EVENT                      64          1
                           10          8

EVENT_QUEUE_IDX03          64          1
                          120          8
                            6         64

SUMMARY_RPT                64          1
                          120          8
                           39         64

SCAN_RUN                  113          8
                           27         64

SCAN_OUTPUT               113          8
                           27         64

WEB_ACCT                  113          8
                           37         64

As expected, there is a pattern! (But who picked 120 or 113 as a magic number?) However, all the above were created in largely empty tablespaces - where datafile "head room" has never really been an issue. Now, it gets somewhat strange...

VUL_HISTORY                66          1  -- Why 66 instead of 64?
                            2          3  -- kOoL!
                           45          8

POST_2_ORA                 64          1
                            1          2  -- Eh?
                            1          3  -- Eh?
                           64          8

SYS_LOB0000036839C00003$$ 114          8  -- What happened to 113?
                            1         60  -- Eh?
                          126         64

PAYLOAD_PULL               68          1  -- Why 68 instead of 64?
                            1          2  -- Loose change?
                            2          3  -- Eh?
                          119          8
                            3         64

SUMMARY_IDX01             113          8
                            1         37  -- Nice prime!
                            1         63  -- Dang header
                          269         64

EVENT_QUEUE_LOG_DTL       128          8
                            7         16
                            2         24
                            1         40
                            1         48
                          595         64

EVENT_QUEUE               117          8
                            3         16
                            1         22
                            1         23 -- Entertaining
                            1         32
                          198         64

Extent sizes and the number of extents at a given size are not entirely predictable. A few, but not all, of these odd cases were indexes that had been rebuilt or tables that have been moved and it *seems* that odd extent sizes are more common afterward (probably from filling in some of the freespace potholes that were caused by some previous bout of bipolar extent allocation). [At the end of a datafile I hope - at least that would make some sense. I have broken it down as above by datafile, but haven't really checked where the oddballs are yet.] Still, its a "vicious cycle". Even with raw devices, I would prefer to waste a little space at the end of some datafiles than have stuff like 3M, 23M, and 37M extent sizes anywhere in a tablespace dominated by 8M and 64M extents. (It just makes my head hurt.) If there is 23M free at the end of some file and the next extent size is *supposed* to be 64M, then go elsewhere - or fail. Don't get greedy and lower the standards. Som  e newborn object will come in some day and grow into it. Its a cornerstone of the "autoallocate / Stop defragmenting and start living / Space, the Final Frontier / 64K-1M-8M-64M-..." concept. What kind of a party were the developers having - or recovering from - when they came up with this?

Perhaps Tanel Poder is giving away decoder rings at his "Automatic Segment Space Management Internals" session at RMOUG Training Days 2005.

-Don Granaman
OraSaurus (& reluctant OCP)