How to analyze a odd column distribution

From: Alfonso León <aleon68_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:32:32 -0500

Hello everyone:

I have a table where I have a date column with historic information in the same table, if date = '31-dec-2999' then is actual record if the date is different of 31-dec-2999 the is an historic record. Now there are about 5 million records and half of them are historic so there are 2.5 million records with 31-dec-2999 and it is confusing the optimizer.

Can anybody give me any suggestion to tell the optimizer this odd distribution? I already try using histograms and didn't get a good execution plan and I would not like to use hints.

Thanks in advance.
--

Alfonso Leon
--