Re: Replacement for onames in 10g

From: Jesper Haure Norrevang <jhn.aida_at_cbs.dk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:01:56 +0100

Mladen Gogola wrote:
> 1. Use OiD
> Not an option, until name resolution starts working according to
> LDAP standard. I am not installing another proprietary product
> which requires an expensive database license, just to finance
> the takeover of PeopleSoft. I'd rather reroute the money to
> tsunami victims instead.

Mladen, I usually like your posts, but OID for Directory Naming is free.

Quote from the Licensing Information:
<Quote>
A restricted-use license for Oracle Internet Directory (OID), a component of Oracle Identity Management, is included with all editions if users use the Directory Naming feature to configure Oracle Net Services. OID may not be used or deployed for other uses. Please contact your Oracle sales representative for additional information on Oracle Identity Management. </Quote>

> 4) Hack Oracle's JAR files and use OpenLDAP for resolution.
> It's not too difficult. Maybe you can even download already
> hacked ones from the internet, but I don't know where from.
> The OiD pushing is a highway robbery and I will never advise
> management to invest money in it.

It it on my to do list to ask my wife to setup a Microsoft Active Directory and let me test it for Directory Naming. I don't know whether it is open enough, but AD can be found in many companies.

Regards
Jesper Haure Norrevang