Re: Replacement for onames in 10g

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_allegientsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:28:13 -0500

Pete Sharman wrote:

>Having said that, the options that I'm aware of are:
>
>1. Use OiD

Not an option, until name resolution starts working according to LDAP standard. I am not
installing another proprietary product which requires an expensive database license, just to
finance the takeover of PeopleSoft. I'd rather reroute the money to tsunami victims instead.

>2. Replicate tnsnames everywhere
>3. Use a central tnsnames file and then use the tns_admin environment varia=
>ble to point to it. =

4) Hack Oracle's JAR files and use OpenLDAP for resolution. It's not too difficult. Maybe you can even download already hacked ones from the internet, but I don't know where from. The OiD pushing is a highway robbery and I will never advise management to invest money in it.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA