RE: Which plan is better - what COST really means ?

From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 01:01:20 +0000 (GMT)

I can't speak for JL but basically I think he's basing cost as the optimizer's estimate of IO's to be performed.

> Jonathan also mentioned to me that the cost estimate should be =
> multiplied by 'sreadtim'
> when running 9i with system statistics (cpu costing) enabled. The cost =
> multiplied by this
> value is the assumed time to complete.
>
> Cost is not the time estimate itself and this is what I was trying to =
> discern from
> Jonathan's earlier post. What I understand Jonathan was trying to say =
> was that cost is
> the value that should be multiplied by a time value estimate to =
> determine the estimated
> time to complete.
>
> The issue I still find for myself is that I rarely see this estimated =
> value be reliably
> close to the actual value for response time. Perhaps in the perfect =
> world, and I guess
> that's where the optimizer thinks it lives :), it would. But, even on a =
> test database
> where I am the only user executing a single query, I don't often see the =
> costed time
> estimate match the actual.
>
> I just wish the optimizer was perfect....then again, if that were the =
> case, many of us
> would have to find other ways to fill our time currently allotted to =
> query optimization.
> :)
>

> Karen Morton
> Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
> http://www.hotsos.com
> Upcoming events at http://www.hotsos.com/education/schedule.html
>
> =20

Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions" ISBN: 1590592174 web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish, and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Do You Yahoo!?