Managing high volumes of data... how to...

From: Jose Luis Delgado <joseluis_delgado_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:09:30 -0800 (PST)

All...

We need to build web reports to display those data I mean volumes and some parameters, for some reports the type is as following:

for a date:

   today_volume,
   volume_yesterday,
   from_begin_month,
   from_begin_year......

Please, note that this structure is asking for high summaries as from the beginning of the year/month up to date.

We've created plsql functions to make some calculations.

ex:

gage_volume_year(gage_name, todate)

return the volume from the beginning of the year stopped to todate....

the same technique has been used for the beginning of the month...etc

after that we've used a snapshot to gather all these data, but as it wasn't simple functions then it was not possible to use refresh fast., and the refresh complete was too heavy.

Question: which would be the best way to manage this high volume of data?

Thanks for your help

Regards!

Do you Yahoo!?
Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard. http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail