_cost_equality_semi_join, Peoplesoft, performance issues

From: John Clarke <jclarke_at_centroidsys.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:39:36 -0500

I've recently taken on the role of a DBA for a Peoplesoft upgrade projec= t and have a question about =5Fcost=5Fequality=5Fsemi=5Fjoin.

We're running Oracle 9.2.0.3 on HP-UX 11.00, upgrading from Peoplesoft 7=

.5 to 8.<something>. During this little project, we'll be upgrading from=
7.3.4 to 9iR2, upgrading HP-UX from 11.00 to 11i, and upgrading Peoples= oft and its tools, but due to where we're starting and what sort of hard= ware we're on, we need to upgrade from 7.3.4 to 9.2.0.3 first, then upgr= ade Peoplesoft, then upgrade HP-UX to 11i, then patch Oracle up to 9.2.0=

.5 or 6.

Anyway ...

Since we'll be running Peoplesoft 7.x against 9.2.0.3 for a month or so,=
 we're in the middle of doing performance/load testing with the version =
combination. We've found a handful of performance issues that are relate=
d to us setting =5Fcost=5Fequality=5Fsemi=5Fjoin to FALSE, the non-defau=
lt value.

We did this b/c we've found documentation recommending doing this, plus = a handful of postings in various places have done this against 9.2.0.3.

My understanding is that =5Fcost=5Fequality=5Fsemi=5Fjoin needed to be s= et to FALSE to circumvent a bug that happens during the Peoplesoft upgra= de process, but I'm not sure since my sources are varied and unreliable.

Does anyone have experience with this parameter against 9.2.0.3, specifi= cally in the context of Peoplesoft=3F If so, I'd be curious to see what = sorts of behavior you've seen.

Thanks,

John