Re: RMAN/DG - delete *ONLY* archive logs "already shipped to thestandby DataGuard database"?

From: Joel Garry <joelgarry_at_anabolicinc.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:04:14 -0800

Marquez, Chris wrote:

>BUT delete *ONLY* archive logs "already shipped to the standby
DataGuard
>database".

Sure you want to do that? What if it can't apply logs already shipped?

When you write your own script, be sure to put in some slop so you don't delete too many, or else some intelligence so you only delete those that have been applied and shown to work, as exemplified by being able to open R/O the standby.

Thanks to various bugs I've run into in 8i/early 9, I habitually keep days worth of archives after rman/backup. One just never knows what exactly the standby will want in various circumstances, and not having an old enough one can be not-fun, and you can't know if any one is good until it is successfully applied. Maybe it's all fixed now, I wouldn't know. I know one fellow opens his standby every hour to be sure he can.

I'm seeing about one corrupted log per month at one customer, _after_ he upgraded network.

Joel Garry
http://www.garry.to