Re: Yet another tool for Command_line_history for Linux DBA

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:12:19 -0800

I'm gonna play Devil's advocate here:

After many years of working on unix where there was no command line history available, I've found that it really is not that useful, at least for SQL*Plus.

The OS command line is a different story, as most commands fit on a single line. Being able to search the command history and repeat a command, or edit a previously used one is extremely useful.

Doing so on a SQL*Plus command line is less so. SQL statements are often more than one line, so it is necessary to up arrow to each line in succession, making sure it is the correct line, and then hit enter. Do this for each line in the statement.

It is simply to easy in SQL*Plus to save the buffer to a file via the 'save' command, or simply 'get afiedt.buf' and 'ed'.

I've tried SQL*Plus command line history tools, and find that they really aren't much benefit.

Jared

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:34:10 +0800, Fenng <dbanotes_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,all ,
>
> at Tom's AskTom(http://asktom.oracle.com) ,I saw :
> [quote]
> Do you use Linux? then you need rlwrap
> http://www.dizwell.com/html/a_command_line_history.html . You won't
> know how you survived without it. [/quote]
>
> yes ,the tool can "up-arrow in SQL*Plus and retrieve old commands",but
> there is another common tool CAN do that too:
>
> uniread - http://sourceforge.net/projects/uniread/
>
> [QUOTE]uniread - universal readline - adds full readline support
> (command editing, history, etc.) to any existing interactive
> command-line program. Common examples are Oracle's sqlplus or jython.
> uniread will work on any POSIX platform with Perl.
> [/QUOTE]
>
> BTW,I wrote a tips about uniread (in Chinese):
> http://www.dbanotes.net/Oracle/uniread-howto.htm

Jared Still