Re: Bulking up loops

From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:07:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jonathan,

Is this feature more prefetching then array fetches (or the term representing the same).

In the OCI layer you have both prefetching and array fetches (or other array operations) where array fetches are describing retrieval of arrays into the array binds similar to what BULK COLLECT doing in PL/SQL. I know that all terms depends on the term description.

Just from my perspective prefetching is much nicer term because you still have bulk/array
fetches/collection that is different then this feature.
At the end it can be similar or look similar but maybe it is not.
Also I think that the implementation is different but will leave Oracle people thinking about it.

What do you think?

If my comment is stupid just forget it :)

Regards,
Zoran Martic

> The 10g pl/sql compiler does "loop optimization" of
> IMPLICIT cursor for loops by turning them into
> array fetches of size 100 in an outer loop.
>
> There's a one-slide summary in my OW presentation
>
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/evolution.html

Do you Yahoo!?
Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard. http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail