Re: Yet another tool for Command_line_history for Linux DBA

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:53:55 +0100 (CET)

I remember HP-UX had a shell capable of doing this. One of the nicest features was that un-echoed entries were captured as well. Very usefull on a project where I didn't have dba-rights. Ask the dba for some kind of favor when is in the neighbourhood, and he starts SQL*plus, enters 'system' and then the password.
Next time, I didn't need to ask the DBA ;-)

Bottom-line: before using these tools, check whether security isn't violated by them.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===

> Hi,all ,
>
> at Tom's AskTom(http://asktom.oracle.com) ,I saw :
> [quote]
> Do you use Linux? then you need rlwrap
> http://www.dizwell.com/html/a_command_line_history.html . You won't
> know how you survived without it. [/quote]
>
> yes ,the tool can "up-arrow in SQL*Plus and retrieve old commands",but
> there is another common tool CAN do that too:
>
> uniread - http://sourceforge.net/projects/uniread/
>
> [QUOTE]uniread - universal readline - adds full readline support
> (command editing, history, etc.) to any existing interactive
> command-line program. Common examples are Oracle's sqlplus or jython.
> uniread will work on any POSIX platform with Perl.
> [/QUOTE]
>
> BTW,I wrote a tips about uniread (in Chinese):
> http://www.dbanotes.net/Oracle/uniread-howto.htm

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===