RE: Schema Design for Surveys

From: <sanjay.khangarot_at_wipro.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:18:19 +0530

Thanks mark for your mail, to further explain the requirement I am explaining with actual data and relations..

Item master structure
Item Code -- Code of the item
Item name -- Item name
Item weight -- Weight of the components
Operation are performed on the raw material and after an operation the product code changes say: in the first stage polishing operation is performed on item no 1 so the code of the resultant product is changed and the entries in the table will look like

item_batch item_name item_weight

1               MB3            20
2               UA              20 ( MB3 is parent)
3               MB1            14  ( No parent)
4               MB2             23
5               MBF            50 final
7               MB3             20 ( This is a new item batch
In the above case MB3 is parent of the UA... I can`t go for an additional column like Parent ID to store the Item code of 1 for the UA item... as in the subsequent stage a child may have more then one parent... like for item 5 have 3 parents,

for item MBF UA , MB1 and MB2 are parents so,

I have created a relation table to store the parent child relation and the table structure and the data is

Table name : Item map
Item_batch parent_batch

1                   null
2                    1
3                    null
4                    null
5                    3
5                    2
5                    4

Is it a proper structure to back track what batches were used in the batch no 5 ? or a better alternative exists ?

Thanks and Regards

sanjay

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org on behalf of Powell, Mark D Sent: Mon 1/10/2005 11:45 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Schema Design for Surveys

why not a shallow table:

Survey and Question could be setup as one or probably two tables then

ques_responses

 survey_no                      inherited from Survey
 question_no            inherited from Question
 response_no            identifier for the response
 response_text          the response itself

user_responses
 user or survey occurrence no (to indicate one set of survey results)  survey_no,
 question_no,
 response_no

Obviously the board does not know all the details and required features but this came to mind and perhaps it will give you something to think about.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --