Metalink search from the MS Deskbar

From: Matt Penny <mattypenny_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:52:09 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I don't know if everybody is aware that MS have released a beta version of their desktop search tool:

http://beta.toolbar.msn.com/

I've not seen any of the competitor products at all, but fwiw it seems to me to be very useful. Its much faster than searching through Outlook, or Windows explorer.

Anyway, with the search tool itself comes a Deskbar tool. This allows for the creation of search shortcuts - not dissimilar to Firefox allowing you to install searchplugins. As far as I can see you can only do this from the deskbar (the window that appears at the bottom right of you screen), not from the Desktop search itself.

To create a shortcut for Metalink, you can paste the following into the deskbar (without line breaks):

@meta,http://support.oracle.co.uk/metalink/plsql/kno_main.doUpdateSearch?p_ss=&p_st=S&p_knowledge=TRUE&p_forums=FALSE&p_product_id=-1&p_platform_id=-1&p_update=-1&p_numHits=100&p_run=Run&p_alltext=$w

You can then type, for example

        meta tablespace

to do a Metalink search on 'tablespace'. If you're not already logged in it will prompt you.

Let me know if you find this useful, or if you have any problems.

Happy New Year

cheers

Matt

Do you Yahoo!?