RE: Identifying the content of a corrupted block in system tablespace

From: Howard Latham <howard.latham_at_rsmb.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:27:15 -0000

An export usually isolates the problem object. And if its valuable data buy support as Oracle Support=20 have helped me out of a similar problem with a hack or two.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Vlado Barun Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 9:24 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

I have a corrupted block in the system tablespace.=20 I used the standard query to identify the object that the block but it failed:
=20

SQL>=20
  1 SELECT segment_name

  2      , segment_type
  3      , owner
  4      , tablespace_name
  5      , block_id
  6      , blocks

  7 FROM sys.dba_extents
  8 WHERE file_id =3D 1
  9* AND 8002 BETWEEN block_id and block_id + blocks -1 FROM sys.dba_extents

         *
ERROR at line 7:
ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file # 1, block # 8002) ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u100/oradata/fstst/system01.dbf'
=20

Then I did this:
ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS '10231 TRACE NAME CONTEXT FOREVER, LEVEL 10';
=20

select owner

       , segment_name
       , segment_type
       , tablespace_name
       , block_id
       , blocks

from dba_extents
where file_id=3D1
and block_id in (
        select max(block_id)
        from dba_extents
        where file_id=3D1
        and block_id <=3D 8002

);
=20

OWNER SEGMENT_NAME SEGMENT_TYPE TABLESPACE_NAME BLOCK_ID BLOCKS
----- ------------ ------------ ---------------- -------- ------
SYS   C_OBJ#       CLUSTER      SYSTEM           7978         25

=20

So, the object that the corrupt block belongs to is c_obj#.=20
=20

Is that correct?
=20

If so, and since c_obj# stores data about objects (metadata), it basically means that I can not access the object whose metadata is in that block. =20
So, I'm trying to identify which object is lost.=20 For example, if it's just an index, I should be able to export all the objects from database into a new database and rebuild the index, and resolve the corruption in that way. Any idea how I can identify the object whose metadata is lost?=20
=20

I'm aware that Oracle support should be contacted, however a friend of mine asked me to look into this before they contact Oracle Support since they don't have a support contract anymore...=20 BTW, this is 8.0.6, they identified this problem 3 months ago in their Peoplesoft application, and of course they don't have a good backup from which to recover...=20
=20

Vlado Barun, M.Sc.

Mobile: 865 335 7652

AIM: vbarun2