Re: swapping

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_ora-600.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:39:21 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Chen, Sarah wrote:

> I am encountering high swapping problem on Oracle database 9.2.0.4 with 16G
> RAM on Sun Sol 2.8 platform.
>
> Can anyone provide good UNIX commands/tips? I would also like to know how to
> find how much swap space for each running process?

A good place to start would be to find out which processes are using the most resident memory, and thus forcing swapping.

On Solaris 8, you can run 'top -o res' to have top sort by resident memory.

It could be one or just a few processes sucking up memory, or many processes. So also try 'ps -eo pid,rss,comm | sort -n +1' to display all processes and their resident set size.

You have to do the math. Add up all the resident memory being used by processes and see how that compares available memory and swap space. The sum of all frequently active processes has to fit into available memory if you want to avoid swapping.

You can have many inactive processes occupying swap space with little impact, so the math doesn't have to be perfect.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting