RE: Mysterious (just testing, don't read), protocol suggestion

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:58:14 -0500

I have a suggestion (on which I hope Steve or Jared or whoever is on deck as list protocol officer will opine).

First: Sometimes there just is no substitute for resolving crazy character set issues than the list where you are having trouble. Second: It would indeed be useful to tell from a subject line prefix alone in a fashion that a wide spectrum of mail tools can handle that the mail message is content free.
Third: I don't want to use up the OT: subject prefix for 100% discard, because those are often hilarious and I read some of them and I couldn't figure out a filter to keep foreign names starting with capital M's. Fourth: Words such as test, testing, TESTING, etc. are no good for filtering a list like this where a large fraction of the subjects are about testing.

Suggestion: CF: (standing for Content Free) as a subject line prefix. Still no excuse for gratuitous spam, but see "First:"

Regards,

mwf

From: Reidy, Ron [mailto:Ron.Reidy_at_arraybiopharma.com] Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 6:27 PM To: J.Velikanovs_at_alise.lv
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Stop doing this. Test on some other email system.
--

Ron Reidy
Lead DBA