2 Node RAC Standby -- A mix of Managed Recovery and Read only?

From: Sriram Kumar <k.sriramkumar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:06:27 +0530

Hi Gurus,

Firstly, I wish each and everyone of you a very happy, prosperous and a healthy New Year.

I have a doubt regarding 2 Node RAC standby database.

  1. We have a 2 Node RAC database running 9.2.0.4
  2. We are planning to configure a 2 Node RAC standby database
  3. I understand from the Oracle docs that only one of the Nodes in a RAC can be in a managed recovery mode.

My question is:

In the above context of one node performing a managed recovery and the other node being idle, can we open the second node in a read only mode ?. The manual says that I can't open the other node in read only mode but why? would like to understand any limitations of the method

I had raised a TAR and the response from Oracle is

<Quote>

It sounds technically possible, but it is not in the product today.Recovery is done when the database is in mount state and readonly mode needs the database to be in open state. This state is linked to the database and not the instance. So, basically, it sounds like an potential enhancement request for future releases.
<Unquote>

Thank you for your time

Best Regards

Sriram Kumar