Re: initjvm.sql hangs on db file sequential read to IDL_UB1$

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark_at_bobak.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:27:43 -0500

Adam,
In addition to Jeremiah's excellent advice, you should probably look at the STATE column in V$SESSION_WAIT. If it's not "WAITING", then you're not waiting on that event. It just happens that that event is the last one you needed to wait for.

-Mark

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 19:31, Jeremiah Wilton wrote:

> Adam wrote:
>
> > I've having trouble installing the Oracle JVM on an Oracle 9.2.0.4
> > instance on Redhat Linux AS 3.0. I thought perhaps some of you would
> > have ideas.

> > I then execute @?/javavm/install/initjvm
> >
> > which runs fine and gets to the CREATE JAVA SYSTEM statement. A trace
> > reveals this is running fine. At some point, however, it begins waiting on:
> >
> > db file sequential read
> >
> > against the
> >
> > IDL_UB1$
> >
> > table. (Found via p1, p2 in v$session_wait.) Actually, not only the
> > same table, but the same /block/. It doesn't report any errors, nothing
> > in the alert log, it just hangs.
>
> Adam,
>
> I can't address Oracle JVM specifically, but I can speak to the type
> of hanging problem you are encountering.
>
> When you are querying v$session_wait, you may notice that sequence# is
> not incrementing. This means that the session is not really waiting
> on that event, only that that was the last event posted before the
> session hung.
>
> You need to determine first if the process is spinning or hung. Look
> at top or ps for the server process of your session, and see if it is
> using any CPU or not.
>
> If yes, then it is spinning. If no then it is hung. Most likely in
> your case it is hung.
>
> You can obtain an errorstack of the hung process using oradebug:
>
> SQL> oradebug setospid <pid of server process>
> SQL> oradebug dump errorstack 4
>
> Then you can paste the call stack into the metalink call stack matcher
> to see if it is a known bug:
>
> http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=153788.1
>
> Or submit the errorstack to support.
>
> If it is spinning, then support will want several errorstacks taken at
> short intervals.
>
> You may also have some luck using strace on the server process to see
> what it is stuck or spinning on.
>
> Good luck,
> --
> Jeremiah Wilton
> ORA-600 Consulting
> Emergencies - Seminars - Hiring
> http://www.ora-600.net
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Adam Donahue wrote:

Mark J. Bobak
mark_at_bobak.net
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts."  --Richard P.
Feynman