initjvm.sql hangs on db file sequential read to IDL_UB1$

From: Adam Donahue <adonahue_at_opsware.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:34:01 -0800

Folks,
I've having trouble installing the Oracle JVM on an Oracle 9.2.0.4 instance on Redhat Linux AS 3.0. I thought perhaps some of you would have ideas.

java_pool and shared_pool are both set well above 100M;

swap space is more than sufficient;

system tablespace has over 500M free space (added to ensure space for this case).

As sys:

I run @?/javavm/install/rmjvm

which executes fine. I then shutdown and restart Oracle, exit the session, and reconnect as sys again.

I then execute @?/javavm/install/initjvm

which runs fine and gets to the CREATE JAVA SYSTEM statement. A trace reveals this is running fine. At some point, however, it begins waiting on:

    db file sequential read

against the

    IDL_UB1$ table. (Found via p1, p2 in v$session_wait.) Actually, not only the same table, but the same /block/. It doesn't report any errors, nothing in the alert log, it just hangs. I left it over night and after some 60,000+ seconds of wait it was still sitting there.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this to happen? I'll trace further if not, but I thought I'd throw this out there in case I'm missing something obvious.

TIA, Adam