Re: B-Tree to Partitioned index

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:12:12 -0000

Isn't that just going to get:

    ORA-nnnnn such column list already indexed

If you want to try something like this, then you will have to re-order the columns, or add/remove a column to allow both indexes to exist at once.

It's possible that going to local partitioning will allow the partition key columns to be dropped from the index - if they are in there at present, and don't add much value - but even then you may have problems with the optimizer not liking the new index stats so much.

You may have to do an online re-definition of the table in order to be able to build the indexes you want :(

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html Public Appearances - schedule updated Dec 23rd 2004

April,

One suggestion is to just create the new partitioned index with a different name. When it is complete, drop the old one and rename the new one if you want it named a certain way.

Look at the ALTER INDEX RENAME command available in Oracle 9i. If naming it is not the issue, then just build the new one and drop the old one.

Hope this helps!

Tom