Re: EMC Clariion "Snaps" for Oracle Backups anyone?

From: Uwe Weber <uwe.weber_at_teleos-web.de>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:10:39 +0100

Hello,

Daiminger, Helmut schrieb:
> We just bought two EMC Clariion CX700 boxes as SAN storage. The boxes
> are primarily used for Oracle databases. Our system integrator is
> trying to persuade us to use "snaps" for database backups.=20

Are they able and willing to integrate those with RMAN? They could write some scripts which make the snap, mount it, catalog it and -after retention time is over- delete the entry from rman and then unmount and delete the snap. If not, dont do it.

If you are interested in this kind of snaps ( on the level of the volume ) you could have a look at Veritas LVM which should be part of HPUX and provides this capability as well, but might be easier to administer, since you should be able to use SAM for this.

Or if you would rather like to have filesystem snapshots (much easier to understand and administer) you can have that too, although for extra cost.

Never forget: You can only use the snap as long as the original disk is still intact, otherwise it is worthless. I have seen at a customers site that CX hardware (esp. CX ATA) and EMC software can be problematic, so you want to have a backup copy to tape asap, not only migrate your backups to tape later on.

Of course making bcvs, snaps and backups to disks sells more EMC storage then backing up to tape.

Regards,
uwe