Re: what's the diffrent between offline and offline drop

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:22:51 -0800

OFFLINE DROP is what you do to drop a datafile from a database that is in no-archivelog mode. To completely remove it from the data dictionary you must also drop the tablespace.

>From the fine manual:

DROP If the database is in NOARCHIVELOG mode, you must specify the DROP clause to take a datafile offline. However, the DROP clause does not remove the datafile from the database. To do that, you must drop the tablespace in which the datafile resides. Until you do so, the datafile remains in the data dictionary with the status RECOVER or OFFLINE. If the database is in ARCHIVELOG mode, Oracle ignores the DROP keyword.

--
Jared Still