Re: ASM/MetaLUN

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:51:14 -0500

I will say this, as part of our 10g software support, we basically worked with every single feature in 10g and ran it through its paces. 10g was so buggy that we were finding new bugs on an average of one a day. The only part of 10g that worked flawlessly out of the box was ASM. We have yet to see a single crash or issue related to ASM on 10g, though admittedly, we haven't tested all of the availability group functionality and so-such.

That being said, I always think its a better idea to leave mirroring and redundancy to the hardware, and use a host side volume manager (like asm) for management only. Striping on the host side is okay, too. ASM, though, doesn't have a particularly elegant algorithm for laying out data. It uses 1meg chunks and evenly distributes all I/O - there was talk of it doing hotspot detection I remember hearing, but I have yet to see ASM take action to adjust for hotspots.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito