RE: rman backups using bcv

From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:16:29 -0800 (PST)

bascially we are having too problems
one the batch process is run in no archivelog mode thus eliminating us backing up at that point in time. thisis a 7 tb database.
we can back it up in online time but that is too resprce intensive and since management doesnt want to buy more disk. emc has offered this solution with the timefinder copy we already have.  Please note since the timefinder copy is used for reporting and other stuff basicaly we;ve lost our backup and every thing we';ve in online time which the company says thaey dont want to lose. i hiope this answers most of the questions.

"Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us> wrote: I'm not sure what the purpose is for performing an Rman backup after the bcv split. You can recreate this database in about a minute. So why back it up?

I would be doing Rman backups of the source database and consider this (the reporting) database expendable.