Re: rman backups using bcv

From: Shrek <shrekdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:14:29 -0600

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:39:33 -0800 (PST), Fuad Arshad <fuadar_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anyone tried to do this before
> we've got an emc person onsite trying to help us backup using rman a BCV copy of a database.
> one of tyhe questions i have is if anyone is doing this.
> How is the process working
> are they using symioctl or standard bring the database in and out of hot backup scripts.
> the emc person i have doesnt want to use symioctl to bring the database in and out of hotbackup and wants us to provide the scripts.
>
> any thoughts/comments

i'm not doing this now, but did it at another gig. our basic plan went: put database in backup mode
break the mirrors
take database out of backup mode
mount new BCVs to sync up
mount old BCVs on backup box
run rman.
use backup DB for reporting.

[note: i may be subject to bit rot on the order of the steps.]

Bill "Shrek" Thater     ORACLE DBA
       shrekdba_at_gmail.com
I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine (Song of
Solomon 6:3)