RE: ASM Startup Help!

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 04:58:56 +1100

So I'm more positive than Scott is. Wonder why that might be? ;)

The first thing I can think to check is if the permissions or access to the=
 devices has been changed on reboot. The order in which the disks are found=
 by the RH3 OS can sometimes change on reboot and the persistent binding do=
ne between the raw/raw devices and the raw character devices can sometimes =
get clobbered.  The permissions will sometimes be set for certain devices b=
ased on the device number.  If the order gets changed and permissions are n=
ot accurate, that too can cause a device to not be discovered.  This might =
be the cause and it might not be.  One other question, as Scott mentioned, =
is whether you are using ASMLIB or not?  If so, the above problems are not =
normally an issue.  The second question is does this ASM disk group have AS=
M redundancy or external redundancy?

Of course, you could always try calling support...

BTW, the PST stands for Partner Status Table and the error message suggest = to me that the disk group does not have the full complement of disks which = it needs to mount the disk group.

 =

Pete
 =

"Controlling developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
 =

"Oh no, it's not. It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA