I was surprised, thought I'd share...

From: Thomas Biju <BThomas_at_br-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:33:32 -0600

According to Oracle LONG and LONG RAW data types are deprecated (in Oracle8= i) and "we" should convert them to appropriate LOB data types. And there are procedures to convert them too...

The following SQL is run on a brand new (not upgraded from earlier version)=  Oracle 10g 10.1.0.3 database:

system> select data_type, count(*)
  2 from dba_tab_columns
  3 where DATA_TYPE like 'LONG%'
  4 and owner =3D 'SYS'
  5* group by data_type
system> /

DATA_TYPE COUNT(*)
-------------------- ----------

LONG                        209
LONG RAW                      4

system_at_FTWT66OD> select * from v$version;

BANNER

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.3.0 - 64bi PL/SQL Release 10.1.0.3.0 - Production
CORE 10.1.0.3.0 Production
TNS for Solaris: Version 10.1.0.3.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 10.1.0.3.0 - Production

system_at_FTWT66OD>

Thanks,
Biju Thomas
DBA

This electronic transmission and any attached files are intended solely for=
 the person or entity to which they are addressed and may contain informati=
on that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.=
 Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use, including taking a=
ny action concerning this information by anyone other than the named recipi=
ent, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or have = received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender = and destroy this communication.
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Dec 20 2004 - 17:30:21 CST