Re: Storage array advice anyone?

From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:49:07 -0800 (PST)

Matt,

That is very good point.

But there is another view from Larry's idea that you want to put as much applications as possible into the centralized system (grid, RAC, whatever, ...). In this case it is not only management, but also performance issues as we all know mixing two or more apps inside Oracle with apps having totally oposite characteristics (SLA's, ..) are giving you a big headache.
I mean the idea is great, cheap HW, cheaper SW, possible cheap administration (even 10g RAC for me is much more complex then 9i, having in mind the variety of possibilities you can implement now RAC, certification matrix is now very nice, you can use this or that, with variety of cluster SW, ..).

For me this is very similar to the virtualization that tend to save $/GB.
Our, or at least mine, main concern most of the time is the I/O throughput in operations/second or MB/s whatever higher.
That is what any application wants. Now mixing the databases and other apps files under the virtualization idea, spreading everything across hypervolumes, LUN's, disks is not giving you the possibility to say OK, these read/writes should have average I/O in 90% cases.
I am not saying that the virtualization cannot be used properly beraing in mind some apps needs big I/O throughput during the night (OLAP) and some during the day (OLTP) then you can mixed them under the virtualization. Also the virtualization will make sense in the same way as for Oracle if you have some kind of smart logic implemented in the way of resource managers driven by your rules.

This is my main question:

Does the storage HW recognized I/O requests coming from the different apps and can nicely made numbers needed to not ruin global SLA numbers?

Does any storage HW currently has somekind of rules driven resource manager that is used in the practice, where rules can be made from the apps level?

At the end, everything comes from the business logic (user requests) then I assume if you cannot control each piece of the SW/HW downthere you cannot get the proper response.

I suppose this requires that apps or Oracle can send app id or name to the storage device then storage HW can understand who is sending and what to do with the request.

Sorry if I am not aware of what is going on in the storage industry.
This is probably my weakest area.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Zoran

> There's a difference, though - the mainframe was
> massive hardware with
> massive redundancy implemented in hardware,
> resulting in a massive
> cost, but very low maintenance
>
> Larry's vision is one big database, one big
> application instance,
> running on hundreds of small commodity servers with
> redundancy
> implemented in software, resulting in a very low
> cost but very high
> maintenance.
>
> Into the gap steps companies like mine (and our
> competitors) that try
> to bridge the gap - aid in the management of large
> numbers of commodity
> servers.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt