Re: Storage array advice anyone?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:34:04 -0000

No. But I am implying that you think very carefully about the amount of data that you read/write to a single disk before you move on to the next disk.

(There are many different terms for this, which is why I chose to describe the mechanics rather than give it a name).

Some people set their systems to 32K per disc at the SAN, then get Oracle to do 1MB direct reads and wonder why things don't work well.

It seems that many suppliers can't go higher than 1MB per disc (at least, whenever I've been on site asking what the maximum is, I've invariably been told that it's 1MB). This means a typical 1MB read will activate two discs - but since many S/As then decide to put a filesystem stripe on top of the SAN stripe, who knows what else can go wrong.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 19th

Hi Jonathan,
Are you suggesting that there is no benefit in having a larger stripe width in comparison to a smaller one, for example, 8-way versus 4-way ?

Thanks