Re: Storage array advice anyone?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:26:13 -0000

Notes in-line

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 19th

:
: When I'm talking about virtualization, I am talking about using large
: numbers of spindles to satisfy I/O, and in better examples, software on
: the array to rebalance I/O.

In that case, your argument should FIRST be:

    "You need a lot of spindles per application." The fact that you might have some cutesy bit of software that makes it easier to handle a lot of spindles is a minor detail.

:
: We can look at the other case - I could have a bunch of RAID-10 volumes
: and any given read could span two drives. When I then have 64 I/Os
: that are pending against that lone RAID-10 volume, wouldn't I be better
: off having those I/Os against 50 disks instead of 14?
:

You might be ... but another way of looking at it is that if you're going to do a bad database design and write appalling code (that's a rhetorical "you", not a personal "you") then I'd rather you wrecked the I/O performance on your set of 14 discs than wreck my performance by hammering my set of 14 disks as well.

: And as far as sharing disks, even EMC's RAID-1 implementation splits a
: disk into a set of volumes and mirrors them to another drive. There's
: always the possibility of spindle contention with any RAID group,
: including a RAID-10 volume.

Which is just one example of why virtualization can be seen as is a con-trick. The vendor "virtualizes" a small number of spindles into a large number of hypervolumes, then tells you that your LUN is striped across lots of hypervolumes - but forgets to mention that your LUN is striped, checkered, zig-zagged and self-contending on a small set of spindles. Then when you ask for the management tools to investigate your performance problem, they either don't exist, or cost a small fortune - "but you don't need to know because it's virtualized and striped and there can't be a problem."

: How well an array copes with
that is a
: factor of workload, cache, and the elegance/functionality of the array
: OS. Like everything else in the world, quality makes a difference.
: That's why I suggested that you vet your vendors heavily.

I thought that was a practice that died out in the late 18th century

:
: Thanks,
: Matt
: