RE: centralize monitoring system suggestions

From: Grant Allen <Grant.Allen_at_towersoft.com.au>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:08:59 +1100

If they're keen on "free", and are willing to do some leg work, I'd = suggest buying "Perl for Oracle DBAs", which has a great set of chapters = on building your own monitoring and management framework using the PDBA = toolkit. Then buy Linchi Shea's perl for sql server admin book. = Throwing mysql into the mix will be trivial from there.

Obviously, this has pro's and con's, but one recent legal case* shows = it's not always smart to rely on 3rd party vendor tools.

(*CA suing Quest ... for those interested, = http://www.ilnd.uscourts.gov/RACER2/index.html , case no 4721 )

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)