RE: Read Only User

From: Reidy, Ron <Ron.Reidy_at_arraybiopharma.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:22:13 -0700

Not good. What would stop mladen from altering his session to 'read = wirte' after he's connected?

Ron Reidy
Lead DBA
Array BioPharma, Inc.

From: jkstill_at_gmail.com
Date: 12/16/04 15:28:19
To: charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com
Cc: ORACLE-L
=20

This is something that should be handled by the application software.
=20

If this database is ever audited, it will fail the audit by doing this.
=20

The only read only accounts that are acceptable are generally for DBA's and app administrators, and for developers that need to see production data from outside the applicatoin.
=20

Jared
=20
=20
=20

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 06:51:25 -0800 (PST), Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been asked to shoehorn a user with "read only" access into a =
database
which wasn't designed to accommodate that. >
> Creating a role with select only on tables and views was easy but I'm struggling with how to handle packaged functions (which allow indirect access to view data). I can't grant execute on the whole package, as it = also
contains procedures that allow data changes. >
> I could create wrapper packages with only the functions exposed, but = that
looks like a great big maintenance swamp as this isn't a very stable app = and
the developers keep on changing the package interfaces.

> Any easier ideas? (9.2 btw)
>
> Thanks
> - Charlotte

> Jazz up your holiday email with celebrity designs. Learn more.

=20
=20
--
Jared Still

This electronic message transmission is a PRIVATE communication which =
contains
information which may be confidential or privileged. The information is =
intended=20
to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are =
not the=20
intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, =
distribution=20
or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please notify =
the
sender  of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us =
by