RE: [Q] sqlplus through VPN not work, but tnsping work

From: Hollis, Les <Les.Hollis_at_ps.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:25:46 -0600

What we have done to allow the access thru the firewall is to set up NATTED IP's. All of our servers are behind a firewall with IP's in the 167.124.xxx.xxx range. =20

As all of the 'support' people are typically outside of the firewall, we had out network engineer setup IP's on the corporate network ( we are the outsourced IT provider for this company) and NATted them thru the firewall to allow direct telnet and SQLNET access.

The NATted IPs are in the 165.136.xxx.xxx range. When I connect to the DB thru SQLNET, my tnsnames.ora file looks something like this....

RMMTST.WORLD =3D
  (DESCRIPTION =3D

    (SOURCE_ROUTE =3D OFF)
    (ADDRESS_LIST =3D
      (ADDRESS =3D=20

(PROTOCOL =3D TCP)
(HOST =3D 165.136.xxx.xxx) <<=3D=3D=3D=3D=3DThe NATTED IP
(PORT =3D 1541)) =20

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =3D
      (SID =3D CDRTST)
      (SERVER =3D DEDICATED)

    )
  )

(Yes the SID and alias are different...we consolidated the RMM database into the CDR database and left alias the same but pointing to the correct SID...that way all of the apps front ends would not need to be recoded for the change)

LIS_TST =3D
  (ADDRESS_LIST =3D

          (ADDRESS =3D
             (PROTOCOL =3D TCP)
             (Host =3D 165.136.xxx.xxx)
             (Port =3D 1541)
          )

  )

SID_LIST_LIS_TST =3D

     (SID_LIST =3D
       (SID_DESC =3D
         (SID_NAME =3DCDRTST)
         (ORACLE_HOME =3D /opt/oracle/8.1.7)
       )

Many others removed for brevity.....

We do not try to tunnel thru the firewall directly using sqlnet proxy or opening up ports.