Re: [Q] sqlplus through VPN not work, but tnsping work

From: Shrek <shrekdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:52:43 -0600

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:27:13 -0600, Carol Bristow <Carol.Bristow_at_dpra.com> wrote:
> As mentioned in an earlier message (I forget by who at the moment), only
> the initial SQL*Plus connection goes through port 1521 (or whichever
> port your listener is listening on). Once the initial connection is
> made, a different port number is dynamically assigned to the session.
> There is a way to force all traffic to go through a single port, but I
> had problems when I tried to set it up in version 8. Check the
> Netowking documentation.

most firewalls have modules that will direct SQL*Net traffic through one port. you need to get the firewll admin to look into getting and configuring the SQL*Net proxy for whatever firewall you have. that way they only have to open one port for all the traffic.

Bill "Shrek" Thater     ORACLE DBA
       shrekdba_at_gmail.com
I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine (Song of
Solomon 6:3)