Recommended 9i reference books?

From: Paul Vincent <Paul.Vincent_at_uce.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:44:28 -0000

Apologies for this old chestnut - I tried searching the list archive, but get "404" errors!

We've recently completed our first batch of upgrades from 8i to 9i, so this seems an opportune moment for me to augment the online 9i documentation with some hard-copy Oracle 9i books aimed at DBAs. There's such a mountain of books covering 9i out there, that I wondered if you folks could recommend some?

My main requirements would be:

(a) A general overview of the main features of Oracle 9i and the most
commonly-used command options to carry out the majority of routine DBA tasks.=20

(b) A "words of wisdom" book - the kind of handy tome which is packed
with tricks and tips to make those 9i databases purr smoothly along like a well-tuned engine.

(c) We've never gone much in the past for "high-availability" techniques
for 24x7 (sorry to use that awful expression!), such as hot backups and replication. However, Duh Management are now making noises about "24x7", and it seems High Availability will become a hot issue hereabouts in the very near future. A book covering the various aspects, and how to implement them in Oracle 9i, would be a VERY welcome addition to my bookshelf.

(d) Any books which the collective Group Mind of oracle-l seem to regard
as absolute must-haves for a lone Oracle DBA (yes, I AM the DBA department here, as far as Oracle's concerned!).

So any list of recommendations for 9i DBA books, which fit with the above, would be very welcome. Alternatively, if anyone knows of a web page which already contains recommended shortlists, the URL would also be useful!

Thanks, and seasonal Best Wishes,

Paul Vincent
DBA
University of Central England