RE: [Q] sqlplus through VPN not work, but tnsping work

From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:39:30 -0500

> I tried to access our ORACLE server through VPN. The
> problem I have is "sqlplus" not work, but tnsping
> work. Network engineer told me he did open port 1521
> for me.

This sounds like there might be a firewall involved somewhere between VPN server you connect to and your internal network? If that truly is the case, opening port on internal firewall (between VPN server and internal network) for port 1521 ain't gonna cut it as only initial connection is established via this port and random dynamic port is used for each and every session (and opening firewall on port 1521 before VPN server would be inconsequential/wrong thing to do).

Without firewall between VPN "edge-box" and your LAN, SQL*Plus should (must) "goe through" just fine...

Lots of ifs so far, nevertheless I'll throw one more: if your Oracle server is Windows box, and if interfering firewall is not "SQLnet aware" (can not be configured to gracefully treat dynamic port feature of SQL net protocol), you might want to look for Metalink note 124140.1

Branimir