Re: [Q] sqlplus through VPN not work, but tnsping work

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:30:52 -0800

You could set up an SSH tunnel:

http://www.akadia.com/services/ssh_connect_tunnels.html

Google for it, there are a few links on this.

I've done it successfuly by setting up an ssh tunnel between my linux box and my laptop, and the laptop and the db server inside the firewall, IIRC. The laptop has the VPN access.

IAC, I was able to logon with sqlplus from my linux box, to an internal database.

Pretty cool trick if you have a need for it.

Jared

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:55:28 -0800 (PST), dba1 mcc <mccdba1_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I tried to access our ORACLE server through VPN. The
> problem I have is "sqlplus" not work, but tnsping
> work. Network engineer told me he did open port 1521
> for me.
>
> if I use ORACLE "tnsping" on PC side, it will response
> back. Server side have message "15-DEC-2004 20:36:38
> * ping * 0" on listener.ora file.
>
> If I use "sqlplus" on PC, there is message pop-up:
> ORA-12535: TNS: Operation time out
>
> there is NO message on ORACLE server side listener.ora
> file.
>
> Anyone know why?
>
> Thanks.

> http://mail.yahoo.com