Re: Storage array advice anyone?

From: Terry Sutton <terrysutton_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:20:56 -0800

As Cary says, the probabilities have been worked out. But people don't tend to internalize probabilities (at least accurately). They tend to think either "lucky" or "unlucky". I personally like probabilities, but I generally tell managers my experience. In the last 7 years, at least 4 systems I had some contact with (clients/employers/former employers/whatever) had 2 disks fail in close time proximity (within roughly 30 minutes). Calculating the implicit probabilites of these real-life occurrences is way over my head (some were small shops with 1-2 servers, some larger). But I can safely say that, in human terms, such an event is not "unbelievably unlikely".

The likelihood of serious data loss from 2 failed drives is much lower with RAID 10 than with RAID 5. So you've got a performance benefit and a fault tolerance benefit with RAID 10. And I won't even detail the crippling effect I've seen when a RAID 5 disk failed and the system rebuilt it with the hot spare.

--Terry

The probabilities are already worked out, and they're publicly available = in
the paper called "RAID: High-Performance, Reliable Secondary Storage" = (an
ACM Surveys article) by Messrs. Chen, Lee, Gibson, Katz, and Patterson.

Not many people bother to put them into Excel, but when I once played = with
the numbers a bit, I realized pretty quickly that the probability of an outage-causing double-whammy is a lot worse than most people think. The article mentions that point specifically, if I remember correctly.

The key idea is that the failures of two disks in an array are = frequently
not independent events. Often, the event that just screwed up disk #1 = has a
higher probability now of screwing up disk #2 before you can fix #1.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:

- Performance Diagnosis 101: 1/4 Calgary
- SQL Optimization 101: 2/7 Dallas
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...